Friday, October 1, 2010

The Prize

Here is a good reminder from Thomas Brooks. What is our prize? For what do we run and strive? Earthly pleasure often take our focus off of Heaven and sometimes it takes the diminishing of those things, or the thought of it, to refocus our gaze on the eternal.

"Whom have I in heaven but You? And earth has nothing I desire besides You. My flesh and my heart may fail--but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever!" Psalm 73:25-26

"God sometimes strips His people of their nearest and dearest earthly mercies--that they may the more prize, and the better taste--of spiritual and heavenly mercies!

God takes away uncertain riches--that His people may the more prize certain riches!

God takes away natural strength--that His people may the more prize spiritual strength!

God takes away the creature--that His people may more prize their Savior.

Spiritual and heavenly things can alone satisfy the soul. The language of a godly man is this, 'Ah, Lord! the good earthly things which I have from You, though they may refresh me--yet they cannot satisfy me without Yourself!'"

No comments: