Tuesday, October 29, 2013

4 Little Words

This past weekend I was at a conference. Conferences can be anything from a yawner to time to get us really excited about something. The anticipation of a certain time can also set the tone for what the results will be of the time we spend. That's the way it is with lots of things in life.

Have you ever noticed that when you are dreading something, most of the time it is not as enjoyable as it could be? Or when you are really looking forward to something that it seems to be almost magical.

That tells us something about how important our mind is in the entire process. Looking at the positive can really make a difference. That is what I'd like to talk about here.

While away I had the privilege of being with one of my relatives, David. We are cousins and I am almost 10 years older than he, but in many ways he is a lot farther down the road. This is certainly not to say that he acts old but he has worked hard on his own personal development and I can say that the one thing that he is is an encourager.

I was really looking forward to going to this conference just to work on myself and to talk to a couple of friends. I went with the idea of encouraging others and hoped that I would also be challenged myself. To be encouraged by another would be a bonus.

There happened to be around 6000 people at this event and David is one of the leaders and even though we are related I don't expect him to come and talk with me all the time. 

I walked in and found a seat and he was walking close to where I was and he came over and gave me a hug and said, "I'm really glad you were able to make it". Encouraged.

Later on in the event I had talked with him about a couple of things and he sent me a text a few hours later and said just 4 words. 4 words that I need to use more often together. 4 words that as I think of them now have really encouraged me. "I believe in you".

As strange as it seems that an old guy like me needs to be encouraged it's true. I understand that if I need the encouragement then there are also many others who will need the same kind of words.

When was the last time you encouraged someone with these kind words or something similar? 
When was the last time someone said something like this to you?

Did you feel like writing a blog post:) about how it made you feel? Probably not but that's what I like to do. Did it put enough wind in your sails to allow you to pass it along to someone else?

We are all in this together. We need to get great at these kinds of things. One other thing. You might be surprised at who is more encouraged when you encourage another. We give and we get back.

#nojunk

No comments: