Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Fearless

Courage- Do you have it? 

Are you as courageous as you'd like to be? Are there things you're afraid of? Spiders? Snakes? Death? Poverty? Driving a car? Heights? Death? The unknown?

Do you know what is the #1 fear almost every year? Public speaking. 

Ok, that's kind of strange to me, but heights isn't strange. I don't like heights. I actually don't know why that is but it's true. Here's what I do know; when I am doing something up on the roof I really don't like being up there at first but soon after I'm up there working and kind of forget I'm that high up I forget it.

Courage comes from experience. In all those things, save death (Which is #5 BTW), the experience we have being in and around them changes our fears to courage. It's a trust issue really. We are afraid something will happen that is often times unfounded. 

In your own life there have been times that you have been afraid of something and when forced to just go do it that fear turned into something else. Maybe you needed someone to push you further so you had to go do it. Maybe it was an emergency and you had on choice. Whatever the circumstance, when it comes down to it, our fears diminish as we face our fears and do the thing.

Holding spiders or snakes. Driving the car on busy freeways. Being on the roof and even public speaking. 

Speaking of- pun intended- I have joined a Toastmasters group and the purpose behind TMs is to get people in front of a group, small at first, and just show them that they won't die or pass out when standing behind the lectern and saying a few words.

I know that comfort is often where we like to live. Stay within your comfort zone is what your body might be saying to you, but that doesn't allow us to stretch. we should be pushing to get out of our comfort zone and do the thing that is most difficult.

Courage and trust go hand in hand. As I have watched God work throughout my own life I have been fearful of things that are around the corner. Not in a paralyzing way but it's hard to lead a family or business and not know that the future is bright and that you have a good grasp on what's around the corner for all those you love. The term "security blanket" comes to mind. But security if completely false without placing our hope where it needs to be.

If I trust in my own plans I have no way to make sure that the succeed. If I trust in others that is also a slippery slope because they don't have any way of delivering at all times. The rich have more of a cushion but we have seen many very wealthy people fall from the top.

What's the point of all this? Work hard. Work smart. Face your fears and then go do the thing. In the end, it's all up to God to bring us to where He knows we need to be and yet he expects us to go out and be the most we can be as we trust in Him.

He can give us courage to face our biggest fears and if we place our trust in Him then it doesn't even matter if we fail because in the end we have Him. Nothing can separate us from His love and though others fail, sickness comes, disaster falls in our laps or even death, we have courage to face the days ahead because we have Him.

Go run hard and live full out. Be courageous and trust Him. It'll be ok and you'll have peace doing it too.

No comments: