Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Great Cloud among the Clouds

I am reading a good book, given to me by my sister. It is part one of a 2 part collection on Hudson Taylor. She gave me both, the first entitled "The Growth of a Soul" the second is, "The Growth of a work of God". I highly recommend at least the first one and I am pretty sure I will be recommending the next as well.

Heb. 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.

We have an amazing group of men and women who have gone before us showing and telling us the way to treasure the Treasure; showing us how to run the race to win the prize; we should not ignore their sacrifice.

Hudson Taylor was not perfect, as he battled sin to be the man God would have him to be. I am early in the book but I have already seen that God was gracious to keep him from having lots of outward defiling sins that he would have a hard time erasing in the future. Often I think that those who are raised in the church long for a testimony that is extravagant, but God works in the heart of those who are not so far sold into slavery just as much as He works in the heart of the slave trader. It is all His work on our behalf even to bring one into repentance.

At 17 he was converted and he didn't have to develop of knowledge of the Word because he was taught the Word from his earliest remembrance. He loved to read and since he was "delicate" there were often things he could not do that others could, which meant he could spend more time studying. We must teach our children, and grandchildren, good study practices and to have a love for all things righteous and holy.

I will keep you posted as I go, but right now the call to go to China has just come to him and he is NOT trying to resist. Get the books if you are able, or read them on line from the link. It will be worth the time.

No comments: