Saturday, January 9, 2010

I will be their God

Jer. 31:31 "Behold, the days are coming, declares the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the LORD. 33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

It is interesting that the Israelites broke the first promise but the new promise is not up to them to keep but up to God. Notice He says, "I will make", "I will put", "I will write" and "I will be". He completely takes it out of human hands and keeps the control Himself. How reassuring is that?

Im morning and Evening today Spurgeon is talking about what this should cause in us. Should our pots not be overflowing with thanksgiving each and every minute of everyday- God makes us this promise "I will be their God and they will be my people" and what more could we desire or ask? With this filling there is no more room for anything to be placed in our pots- God has filled it up to overflowing. This should put a sparkle in our eye.

The passage goes on to talk about Him being the One who controls all the universe and now He has made this promise, which will never be broken, with us His people. What an amazing promise, for people who don't deserve such goodness.

No comments: