Tuesday, May 19, 2009

No Condemnation

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Romans 8, the entire chapter, is so rich. The Bible is obviously all good, but this seems to be a highlight chapter.

In thinking about this verse it is difficult to image moving from Romans 7, with all the sin, law, doing what I don't want to do and not what I do want to do, and then this verse.

God is a God of transformation. It is amazing to me that He would choose me, change me and not condemn me. How can a sinner like me have no condemnation? All my life I have been doing what I want to do, being selfish, wrong motives, bad attitudes, perusing all things but Him and yet I am not condemned? How can you explain that kind of love? Why would He devise a plan like this to win me back? Is it really a "win" on His part, to win me back? Seems more like a handicap.

Oh how sweet to be "IN" Christ Jesus. I often want to go back to the Law and try to "do" rather than "Be". This is so futile, because, in and of myself, I can't do anything good, but I can be what He wants me to be. What I really want to be is close to Him. I know that right now it is not my time to really be with Him, but I can be with Him every moment of every day here on earth as I meditate on what He has done and is doing in my life and in the lives of others around me.

I am finding that as I go through my day if I make a conscious effort to see His goodness in everything and praise Him for it along the way, then my heart is much closer to Him. Maybe this is why we are to give thanks in all things. It would be difficult to be thanking God in all things and not think about His goodness. We are to be a thankful people.

Lord, make Yourself the one aim in my life. Change my heart to be focused ever closer on You. Don't let me desire things of this earth even close to my desire for You. I want You to be my best and greatest love, but my heart is easily distracted by the good things You give to me. Don't let me love the gifts, only the Giver. This is so hard to do, yet it should be easy to remember. Keep me close to You. Let me love You more today than I did yesterday.

I want to be as a child; tender, innocent, trusting and willing to follow right next to You. Don't allow cynicism into my heart. Don't allow my heart to be calloused to others needs. Don't let me focus on the sin, but let me love the sinner. God You are so very kind. Let me be a reflection of You. This is not natural to me, but You can take the unnatural and supernaturally make it happen. Oh that You would do this work in me. Oh that You would do this work in Your Church. Purify Your Bride and give us Heavenly affections. Be glorified in us.

No comments: