Thursday, May 7, 2009

Righteousness over Relief

Matt. 6:33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

This verse has many things it address, not the least of which is seeking the righteousness of God. I was listening to a sermon and the speaker was talking about seeking righteousness over relief.

I often seek relief over righteousness in trials. If I am praying, "God take this trial away from me" rather than "Lord, let me be righteous in this trial", I am going the wrong way. It is easy to ask to have the trial removed, but what if that is where God wants me right now? What if the best place for me is in the trial and I am asking to get out of it?

Oh that I would seek first, and really only, His righteousness and let Him decide when it is time to get out. Easy to say when the trial is not all around me, hard to live when it is.

No comments: