Saturday, December 13, 2008

Don't worry pt 3

Ps 73:23 Nevertheless, I am continually with you;
you hold my right hand.
You guide me with your counsel,
and afterward you will receive me to glory.
Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

For behold, those who are far from you shall perish;
you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.

Oh that I might live "near to God" every minute of every day.

I read this today, from Matthew Henry's commentary on Matt 6
"Thoughtful for our soul is the most effective cure for thoughtfulness of the world".

We can have confidence in our Great God to take care of our every NEED, but we must be looking to Him for direction and seeking first His Kingdom, then our minds will be off of our cares in this world and we will be focused on the next life, the one that actually matters.
When we seek first His Kingdom that means that it outweighs every other thing we seek. This take first place over work, pleasures, food, clothing and children. This is to be our main seeking that every other endeavor fall under. This defines our treasures well for us. If we seek first His Kingdom then when we work, we will work toward the goal of the Kingdom's advance, for us and others. When we SFTK we will see our pleasure with an eternal perspective. Our food will be for nourishment unless He provides a feast, then we will feast on His gracious, abundant provision. Clothes will be what keeps us warm and dry (this one is hard for me). Actually maybe all of these are hard for me. And children will be the legacy we leave to propel the Kingdom forward when we have gone to the Kingdom.

Is Heaven your highest prize? Do you wish for Heaven more than anything else. Are you spending yourself to attain Heaven's reward? Are the riches of Heaven on your mind as much as the cares of this world? When your mind is idle are your thoughts on being Home- in Heaven? "Nothing so mars and defiles the heart of man as impure attachment to created things." Thomas a Kempis.

I am confident that God is allowing me to go through this current economic down turn to change my focus from "how good I have it here", to a growing appetite and longing for the rest and joys of Heaven.

No comments: