Tuesday, June 23, 2009

ABLE

When someone asks the question, "Are you able?" what do you think about?

I here people say things like, "Well of course I am", or, "Do you think I'm weak?", or "Do you think you are better than me?". Able is an interesting word.

Having sufficient power or resources to accomplish something: or, Especially capable or talented. In the Bible Dunatos means; powerful, mighty, strong.

In thinking about myself, I must understand that on my own I have no power, strength or might unless Gd has given it. In an emergency people sometimes say "Save yourself", but can we really do that? We just don't have any power in ourselves that would make it possible for us to save ourselves, or anyone else for that matter. The slightest little nerve problem can make it so the strongest of men can't even stand up on his own.

But what about when God says He is able? There is a list of amazing things coming from the heart of Him who, from eternity past, had in mind to do us good; and He is able.

Jude 24 Now to him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you blameless before the presence of his glory with great joy, 25 to the only God, our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion, and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.

He is able to keep me from stumbling. I am walking but He can keep me from stumbling; how good is that? He can present a sinful person like me blameless. This is not because I am able to assist in the matter. He gives the desire, He paid the price for my sin so that justice would be met and He is able to keep me blameless because of His atoning death on the cross. Paul is left here with overwhelming praise, flowing from his overflowing heart; he understood how great of a deal this is.

James 1:21 Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls. God is SOO able that even His very Word is able to rescue us. All we have to do is receive His Word with meekness and then obey that Word, which is totally for our good, and this Word is ABLE to save our souls.

I would encourage you to just go through the Bible and search for the word "able" and I think you will be surprised at what God has promised to be able to do in us and through us and for eternity, for us. There is not much weight on us to be able to "do", because He is the One who is really doing the work.

Know that God is able to accomplish what concerns you today and that He wants only what is best for you.

No comments: