Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009- Roller Coaster Year

The year is coming to a close and while at some points I didn't think it could end soon enough, others were very sweet memories. I don't think I have ever experienced a year with the collection of very steep and frequent ups and downs. Many of the ups were accentuated by the people who are in my life on a frequent basis, but some of the ups were from people I had just met and may never meet again.

I hope and pray that God would allow us to meet up with our son. This is something that has caused a great awakening in our family life- not necessarily on a purely spiritual plain, though that is certainly there, but on a social plain as well. He has changed the way we think about orphans and we haven't even met him yet. Actually, God is the One Who has done the changing, but He is using a 13 year old boy who barely speaks any English. God has a crazy way of working, doesn't He?

Teresa and I had the opportunity and privilege of meeting Doug Nichols and his wife Margaret this year. Doug is the founder of Action and at 71 is not slowing down any time soon. What an encouragement he has been to me this year, even though we only met 1 time for about 3 hours. God has given him a heart for street kids and he is not letting up.

Another "top of the roller coaster" time for us had to be meeting many new friends in Ethiopia. These may be kids and adults we never meet again here on earth but they captured our hearts while we were there for a week. I need to be reminded frequently of God's abundant blessing on me and those around me and this was a great reminder of His care for orphans and widows. Again, people impacting our lives who don't speak English and who have so little, yet they rejoice while saying "God is Good- All the Time". How true that is!!

And as we prepare for the celebration of the New Year I am always reminded of the people in our ministry who encourage me so much. I don't think many know the impact they have, but the times with our 128 staff is always a "top of the coaster" time. My best friends in the world are those who are in the spiritual trenches with us, being spent for His purposes. Though not perfect, and maybe that is much of the connection, they are trying to be used up for the Master.

I have much to be thankful for, including the low parts of the coaster; maybe even more since they bring about the most reliance on Him. I have learned to rest much more in His care this year, though I have a very long way to go in this area. Since I can't really control anything around me I have to just let go of much that is happening and give it over to Him and pray that I would be excited about what He is doing around me- again, I have a long way to go here.

What a year. Many victories, a little growth, some new friends, knitting together with some old fiends, some spiritual battle won and many still going, but in the end- God is in Control and I could not think of a better place to be than in the shadow of the Almighty. I need Him to keep me there. I need to have my affections tuned to Him purposes. He has to grow those affections or I will wander. May I be more single eyed in 2010 than I have ever been, but that is up to Him to give.

Rejoice, the Lord is King!
Your Lord and King adore;
mortals, give thanks and sing,
and triumph evermore.
Lift up your heart,
lift up your voice; rejoice;
again I say, rejoice.

Jesus the Savior reigns,
the God of truth and love;
when he had purged our stains,
he took his seat above.
Lift up your heart,
lift up your voice; rejoice,
again I say, rejoice.

His kingdom cannot fail;
he rules o'er earth and heaven;
the keys of earth and hell
are to our Jesus given.
Lift up your heart,
lift up your voice; rejoice,
again I say, rejoice.

Rejoice in glorious hope!
Jesus the Judge shall come,
and take his servants up
to their eternal home.
We soon shall hear
th'archangel's voice; the trump of God
shall sound, rejoice.

Charles Wesley.

For some reason this song just came into my mind as I was finishing, so I stuck it here. I think it is a fitting way to end the year.

3 comments:

SKH said...

God's work was very good in and through you this year. Thanks for sharing a seat on the ride with us.

And really, "a fitting way to end the year"? In terms of content, sure. But you have 16 more hours of blogging time to go!

Leila said...

It has been awesome to watch you all grow this year - so many new changes for next, too! We're praying for Vince that God will work a miracle. We want him as part of our family, too.

Ryan Hall said...

I love this quote of yours:

"God is in Control and I could not think of a better place to be than in the shadow of the Almighty. I need Him to keep me there. I need to have my affections tuned to Him purposes. He has to grow those affections or I will wander. May I be more single eyed in 2010 than I have ever been, but that is up to Him to give."

I can't help but be drawn to prayer and ask the Lord to work this in the hearts of His.

Thanks for posting it! Its going to be awesome watching Him work in and through our hearts as we stay in the gospel in 2010.

I am praying for you! and your journey with Vince. Just remember that it is all for your good. No matter what happens in 2010 it is only for our good. Keep that promise in your heart (Romans 8:28). Pray that God would keep the gospel deep within our hearts!