Thursday, December 3, 2009

Is today your last?

Yesterday i had the opportunity to talk to someone about their eternal destiny. I would not even say that it was hard for me to get started and that has to be God working. I was just thinking about a couple of things they had said and the way they had been acting and decided this was the time to ask some questions.

I have no idea what will happen in their heart and that is not up to me- my only responsibility is to walk when God opens the door- and He graciously made that much easier than I thought it would be.

In the conversation I said "You have no guarantee that today was your last day here and if that is the case then what is tomorrow going to look like for you". While that question was pointed at the person I was talking to I have been thinking about that part for me in a slightly different way. If today is MY last day have I maximized all the opportunities that God has given me before I am done here?

I am so ready to be finished, but that doesn't mean that God is ready for me to be finished and He is the One Who brings these opportunities in our path and He expects us to take them and run with them. The person who is in our path today might not get another opportunity to hear the Gospel and we might not get another person to share with.

Maybe this thought is what the Psalmist was thinking when he said that we should "Number our days". If we knew that today was the last number would we share differently than we currently are sharing? That is a huge rebuke to me. God has given me the treasure to carry about in this "jar" and He has given me all that I need to share it with the people I should be sharing it with- now what is the hold up? Am I too busy living my life to talk to someone who God puts in my way?

May we be so excited about the treasure entrusted to us that we overflow with joy in wanting others to have that same treasure. They are looking for something to fill the hole in their heart and we have it- maybe right now is the time to share it.

No comments: