Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Who needs Prayer?

I was thinking earlier this morning that I can often fall into the trap of thinking that those that are doing well need less prayer. If someone's life seems to be going along really well, it seems like they need less prayer than the person who is really struggling with something difficult, but I am not so sure that is true.

When things are really on the edge for me and PG I am most inclined to be fervently praying and asking for direction at every turn. At times, God has so humbled me that I can't even make the simplest decision w/o asking Him for His leading. When He then provides for PG, and me, I can quickly get into the mindset/heart-set that there is some room to move now and I don't have to "bother Him" as much right now because I may be able to answer those questions myself.

What a foolish and proud place to go. I think that I need more prayer when things are going well so I don't try to lean on my own understanding. When things are going well it is easy to start to think that the reason it is going that way is because we are working hard and doing the right things, not that He is providing for our every need and He is enabling me to follow His directives.

Only He can even give the desire for me to want to follow Him, or look to Him for direction. Only He can make our work prosperous. Only He can take my vain attempts at doing something right and make it turn out really good. He must get all the credit and He must be looked to for direction in each and every decision we make.

My heart is deceitful and desperately wicked, prone to wander and leave the God I love and He is the Only One who is able to bind my wandering heart to Him and seal it for His courts above. Oh that He would do that each minute of every day.

No comments: