Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Afflicted NOT Crushed

2 Cor. 4:7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;
16 So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.

First off, I am hit with "Belongs to God and not to us". We are powerless on our own and all power belongs to Him.

And past that, I feel the weight of being afflicted, not in every way as Paul was, but more than I have ever been called to endure, but not crushed. At this moment in time I am perplexed in my ability, or inability, to change the circumstances, but not driven to despair- really ONLY because Christ is my Hope and my Rock.

I feel at times that I am losing heart, which is really irritating to me, because I know He is faithful. I also am starting to relate to the "wasting away". Teresa just told me that the reason this is so hard on me now is that we have always had it pretty easy. I think she is right.

BUT, BIG conjunction--- the verse doesn't end there. "For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

Oh how high and mighty is our God who gives us the encouragement of things to come. We have a hope that is beyond compare. This hope is far better than the best of here and now, and enables us to endure the worst of this life.

Keep up the fight, finish the course and the crown of life will be your reward.

Please pray for me and the people of PG that we would have wisdom in the coming days. Many very serious, life changing decisions may need to be made. Pray that we would be calm in the storm and that God would be glorified in our lives through this time.
And please pray for me that I would look only to Christ, and not to the circumstances, as they are too big for me, and the waves make me scared.

Ps 17:6 I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my words.
Wondrously show your steadfast love,
O Savior of those who seek refuge
from their adversaries at your right hand.

Keep me as the apple of your eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings,
from the wicked who do me violence,
my deadly enemies who surround me.

1 comment:

Joan Dabrowski said...

Thanks for your transparency in sharing your struggles. In the deep-end with no floaty but your faith seems to be right where God wants you! Your steadfast trust and spiritual growth are a huge encouragement to me. I will be praying for you and all those at pg.