Saturday, January 24, 2009

Is wobbly faith better than no faith at all?

Matt. 14:28 And Peter answered him, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water." He said, "Come." So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me."

I posted the other day about my irritation concerning my own wobbly faith, and I am still pondering that issue.

I am so encouraged by this passage and God's kind heart in including this for us. I, like Peter, have times when my faith is really strong, strong enough to jump right out of the boat in crazy seas and run to Christ. But also like Peter, as soon as I am out of the boat I start to look at the waves around me and listen to the wind howling in my ears and I realize I am in too deep for me and forget that I was in too deep for me when I first got out of the boat. It's not my strength that is keeping me up for even 1 step, but His.

My encouragement comes from knowing the rest of Peter's story. God obviously used Peter in a mighty way in the remainder of his life. He was not without failing moments along the way, but he was faithful over the long haul and God honored him for it. I want to be faithful in order that He/God would be glorified in my life as a result of others seeing and knowing that it is His power that works in me to bring about the change.

So, little, wobbly faith, faith that is strong one second and falters the next, can still be used by God and I am thankful that He chooses to use those moments to shape our spiritual lives.

Look how far God takes Peter's little, wobbly faith in his lifetime.

1 Peter 5:6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.

No comments: