Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Promises Kept, Rest At Last

Joshua 20:43 Thus the LORD gave to Israel all the land that he swore to give to their fathers. And they took possession of it, and they settled there. And the LORD gave them rest on every side just as he had sworn to their fathers. Not one of all their enemies had withstood them, for the LORD had given all their enemies into their hands. Not one word of all the good promises that the LORD had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass.

This passage comes at a time when the Israelites had crossed the Jordan and had taken over every city in the land that God had promised to give them. Up until this time there were many battles to fight, much strategizing and blood was spilled.

I can't really imagine what those days preceding this passage must have been like, but after the battles and wars are finished, the rest from all this must have been all the more sweet.

We are currently in a war, though as I posted before we often forget that we are, and when the war is completed and we have finished our course, the rest will be sweet. I love it that Moses adds, right at the end, that EVERY promised God had made had come to pass.

What A Day That Will Be
Jim Hill
There is coming a day when no heartaches shall come,
No more clouds in the sky, no more tears to dim the eye;
All is peace forevermore on that happy golden shore,
What a day, glorious day that will be!

What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see,
And I look upon His face the One who saved me by His grace;
When He takes me by the hand and leads me thro' the promised Land,
What a day, glorious day that will be!

No comments: