Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Fathers and Sons






A psalm of David. When he fled from his son Absalom.

1 O LORD, how many are my foes!
How many rise up against me!

2 Many are saying of me,
"God will not deliver him."

3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD;
you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.

4 To the LORD I cry aloud,
and he answers me from his holy hill.

5 I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.


6 I will not fear the tens of thousands
drawn up against me on every side.

7 Arise, O LORD!
Deliver me, O my God!
Strike all my enemies on the jaw;
break the teeth of the wicked.

8 From the LORD comes deliverance.
May your blessing be on your people.

Good morning,

I just woke up a little bit ago. Sleeping in the hospital is certainly not like sleeping in your own bed, and this is also true for Grant. He is tired but can't sleep very well. It did seem like he slept better last night than the previous night.

I was just reading a few Psalms this morning and looked at the heading of this one and it really touched my heart.

I can't imagine David's heartache from having to run from his own son, knowing that much of the pain in his family was due to God's punishment for his own personal sin. It would be hard enough to have your sons be rebellious and not loving the Lord, but to know that your son is trying to kill you and all this from your own sin, I can't imagine. No wonder David wrote so much scripture for us to cling to, he himself was clinging to The Father.

I am so thankful for great kids who love the Lord.

I love you Kimmy, you are an amazing woman. God is using your love for Him in a powerful way.

I love you Garrett and am so proud of the young man you are. You are so disciplined in your quiet time. I pray that God uses you to change the world.

And Grant, you are the kindest, sweetest young man I know. Always the defender of the weak, always the strong, quiet leader. I love that you are reading Job and James together. Who, but God, would have known that reading Job would become this personal for you. Our God is a personal God.

Notice in the body of the Psalm that David recognizes that it is God alone that sustains and give rest and life. I'm thankful for both of those this morning.

Sometime last night, I'm not sure what time or in what state of sleepiness, I was just singing this song in my head. I love music like this because it can just bring me right back so I can focus on God again.

We sing these kind of songs and I often reflect on the words, but this week words about a Father's love for his Son cut quickly to my heart, and I need to be reminded of His love for me and also His sacrifice for me.

I am not so kind as to want give my son for any of you, even though many of you are really good friends to me. God gave His ONLY son, His perfect son, to pay the penalty for my sin. He paid the penalty and He knew exactly how we would treat Him while He was here on earth. If I gave my son up for someone I would be really mad if they didn't appreciate such a precious gift, yet so many reject this sweet sacrifice of love on our behalf. Read the words slowly, even if you know them very well.

Remember that this week would have been the first week the disciples would have Jesus back from the dead and would start enjoying the reality of who He is fully. They had 40 days with the Risen Savior. What a joyous time that must have been, when for the first time they could start putting all the pieces together. This had to be some of the sweetest time of communion ever on earth. Dinner with the Savior after He had paid the price with His own life. WOW


How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom

As for Grant this morning. He is sleeping very well right now. His heart rate is between 55-75 most of the time, which is great. He remembered again this morning that he had an MRI yesterday, so I think he will have good memory progress today.

There are no procedures scheduled for today and if they open up a room on another floor we can give this one to someone who needs it more than Grant currently does.

The staff here has been amazing. Thank God for people who want to study and work hard at medicine, because without them this technology would not be available.

Praise God for another day with The Son and with my sons,
Chuck

Click here to read the next part, "Three Days Ago"

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Chuck, what a joy to hear that Grant is stable enough to be moved out of CCU!! I will continue to pray for his recovery, strength, and for you and your family as well! We still love you guys, and there are still people world-wide praying for you! Be sure to give his new room number so that we can invade another part of the hospital!!

orangelugster said...

I feel like I am there with you guys and I wish I was but I am much more assured to know the Lord is right there with you. It has been fabulous hearing this whole ordeal from a father's perspective and especially from one who clearly loves the Lord and lives the way he writes. It is so encouraging to hear your fight to look to Christ in faith and trust His sovereign plan. Praise the Lord for what He is doing in your family. You can know that you are loved and will be prayed for in Santa Clarita.