Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Surgery Day


Psalm 139

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

For the first 17 years and 10 months of Grant's life he has been a pretty normal kid. Grant was the kid in t-ball that was in the field looking the other way or picking the weeds. We were talking about that the other day and he said he knew that they weren't going to hit it to him anyway.

This are his last couple hours without an ICD. The doctor just came in and talked to us about going through the airport, and that he couldn't be an arc welder, but pretty much everything else is ok. EMF's are the issue. Magnets just turn the ICD off so if he had another event it would not respond. If the ICD does turn off it will reset itself. It won't actually shock him if there is an issue.

They will replace the entire unit when the battery is spent. This allows them to give patients the newest and best units possible. The doctor said that this unit is much more advanced than the ones she was placing even a couple of years ago. Like all electronics, even a couple of weeks and there is a better, smaller and faster version.
Grant is back to his usual self. The doctor asked if he was nervous or concerned at all about the procedure, and he said "no, not really". He is very calm in most every circumstance.

Yesterday I was thinking more about God's timing and was recalling that when I purchased my plane ticket, about 3 months ago Teresa had said she would rather stay home and be ready to go on vacation. God knew all of the details of this event from eternity past and just prompted Teresa to want to stay home. As I said in previous posts, it really is amazing that God allowed all the things to work together for His good. I am so happy that God had me here for this time, not just for Grant, Teresa and the kids, but for me as well. God shapes us in all kinds of circumstances.

Today is the day Grant's 6 months are up so he can drive people other than family members. He was so excited to be able to take others back and forth to school and church. He found out this morning that he and Jeanie are in the same "No driving" club for 6 more months. Because of his event he can't drive, it's not because of the ICD.
Teresa just got here, so Grant is in for 50 questions:) This is a mom thing I guess.

"How are you feeling?" "Well, I'm on a gurney".:)

Thanks for praying for us.

Grant is his usual self this morning. He is laughing and talking just like before the event. God is so Good to us.

Feeling the love of Christ and of all of you,
Chuck

Click here to read the next part, "Ninja Mom"

9 comments:

ew2japan said...

Chuck and Teresa,

Prayers from Japan! This is not exactly the way you want to get in touch with people after, ahhhhemmmm.... more years than we care to admit. An email from your dad linked me in.

I'm so thankful for what God has been doing in this situation--in attending to every detail, in saving Grant's life, and in sustaining you through it. I'm so impressed with the depth of reliance on Him that is so evident in the blog.

And the pictures are wonderful from the perspective of showing Grant's progress, but just a little wierd from the perspective of looking way more than faintly like someone I went to high school with.:)

Will continue to be in prayer.

Ethel

Sarah Z said...

i will be praying for you all and for the doctors as well!

cwblogger said...

Well, it is 10:36. GW is supposed to be in surgery right now. I have been and will continue to be praying for all of the Weinbergs! I am so overjoyed at God's work in your lives! What a blessing it has been to be able to witness firsthand your faith and reliance on Christ! God Bless you, my friends!

Bekah said...

It is almost 11am which means that the surgery (if it was started on time) should be about half way done. I will continue to pray and fast through the second hour of the surgery! Love you guys so much and can't wait to see Grant's smile once again!!

Unknown said...

hey weinbergs.
I am waiting for a customer to show up to their home and decided to read a little about what's happening. I can't get over the fact that this "event" is having such an impact on so many people.
God is so good to choose to put you through this in his perfect timing. It is so encouraging to see your response through this.
Psalm 139 is my favorite and often read by myself as a reminder of how much God cares for little me.
I would imagine that the surgery is wrapping up soon. I have been praying that the Lord would guide the surgeons hands.
Drew

ErikJ said...

Hey Chuck,

Its ErikJ down here at Masters, just letting you all know that me and my wing have been prayin for Grant. Our prayers are with all of you as well.

Joan Dabrowski said...

Grant and fam;
The E N T I R E school is praying like crazy for all of you! Praise is continually on my lips for God and His goodness in sparing your life. He has amazing things for you Grant. Much love,
Mrs. Dabrowski

Jonathan Sarr said...

Chuck, how is Grant's memory? Is any of it coming back?

Still praying for you guys, of course....

Andy B. said...

Sarr,

Read the "Little Blue Fish" post he posted. It talks about his returning memory. He is a lot better.