Monday, March 24, 2008

The Power of the Cross

Sorry, I'm a little more tired tonight than I thought I was.

While I was driving home I was listening to Chris Tomlin's song and of course it speaks a little louder today than it did a couple of days ago.

What can take a dying man
And raise him up to life again?
What can heal the wounded soul?
What can make us white as snow?
What can fill the emptiness?
What can mend our brokenness? Brokenness?

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the Holy cross.
Where the Lamb lay down His life
To lift us from the fall.
Mighty is the power of the cross.

What restores our faith in God?
What reveals the Father's love?
What can lead the wayward home?
What can melt a heart of stone?
What can free the guilty ones?
What can save and overcome? Overcome?

It's a miracle to me
It's a miracle to me
It's still a mystery
And it's still a mystery
It's a miracle to me
The power of God
Those who believe

Mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the Holy cross.
Where the Lamb lay down His life
To lift us from the fall.

Oh and mighty, awesome, wonderful
Is the Holy cross.
Where the Lamb lay down His life
To lift us from the fall.
Mighty is the power of the cross.

The doctors don't really know why Grant's heart stopped beating. They don't have an answer, but we do. God is the controller of heart beats.

The cars were driving around me coming from home and I was thinking to myself, "Please don't pull out and hit me, I don't need this tonight", but then I was reminded that I am not the "decider" of what I need. I need to trust God even in this that He really knows what I need. I don't trust Him enough in the smaller things in life.

I was also thinking that Garrett was going to come home and stay tonight, but he is staying with Steve, Gaye and Zach. Before I knew that was happening I was thinking that I don't want Garrett to be home by himself. How dumb is that? How quickly I forget that God knows what I can handle and He is good to us. I do believe, but I need help with my unbelief.

Thanks to Ron and Jen VDB for lunch. That is one Indian dish I really enjoy and that strawberry licorice is so good!

Thanks to Brian and Annette for dinner, the "real food" is exactly what we needed.

Sue Y. reminded me that when others want to bring things to us we need to be gracious receivers. Thanks for giving me a little of my own medicine. I enjoy serving others and giving to others and it is harder for me to receive than to give. So thanks for stretching me. You are all so kind to us.

I think there were 105 by today. One of the nurses came through and said, "It's a shame that Grant doesn't have any friends". You are great friends to us, thanks.

Tonight please pray that we would remember God's goodness. I understand the part about "Prone to wander Lord I feel it, prone to leave the God I love" more clearly than I want. I need to be chained to Him so I don't forget.

Pray that Grant would continue to improve and that God would get great glory from raising him up again.

Pray that we would all get some rest and be ready for tomorrow.

Click here to read the next part, "Fathers and Sons"

4 comments:

Micah James Lugg said...

That song is such a good refocuser - the cross is the answer to our brokeness and human frailty. We need to look no where else, but in the cross of Christ.

I am praying for faith, for over the last couple days I have also been believing that God is control and yet fearing what will happen. And so we say with the father in Mark 9:24, "I believe; help my unbelief!"

Rachel Israel said...

This morning (it is morning for us in Israel) I was able to talk to my family and hear Garrett's voice in the background. It made me thankful for hearing voices, for being able to speak. Thankful that God is in control. Thankful that Grant is doing so well. Also this morning in Bible study we talked about faith in prayer. Wow! Praise the Lord to be able to share such an answer to prayer as your family has seen in the last few days! We're still praying for you guys. Thanks for your honesty and encouragement to all of us reading your blog. We love you!

David Dye said...

Just a quick note to let you know that the "Georgia Boys" have you on our minds and in our hearts. That goes for Italy too. I look foward to my next Seattle visit so I can get Grant on the golf course and see what he's got!!

Gaye said...

Hey Chuck~
Thanks for sharing your heart, life and family with all of us. It's so good to watch this process unfold of how God is using His plan in all of our lives. He is the ultimate planner, eh?! He is so loving and good to carry us through His plan!! We love having Garrett with us....so, as long as needed he has a home with us. Rest easy, friend!