Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dwell in The Shadow

Ps. 90:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

Spurgeon states that there are those who dwell "far off" with God, never getting too close. They may be believers but the closeness that the Psalmist is talking about here is known only by those who dwell closely to The Most High. Like the Holy of Holies in the Temple there were only a select few who would ever know the nearness of God that was there, so there are few who will dwell this closely to God. This dwelling is so close to Him that His shadow covers them. He is not some far away God, but to them He is over and all around them. "The Omnipotent Lord will shield all those who dwell with him, they shall remain under his care as guests under the protection of their host", Spurgeon.

There is nothing that can penetrate the protection of The Most High. To a fraction of a degree the imagery of a small child running to the arms of their father in a storm brings some of this to life, but as a human father there is nothing I can do to calm the storm and the storm may take me and my child away together. But with the omnipotent Most High, there is no room for fear, no room for worry, because He not only holds and hides us, He controls the storm. What peace.









Occasionally saying that the Lord is my Refuge and living "The Lord is my Refuge" are 2 very different things. If I live it out then EVERY time there is "danger" I will run to Him, not just when I have exhausted my own resources. There is no resource I have that compares to Him; no castle, no draw bridge, no moat, no high wall about the city. He is the best and only defense against attack from outsiders and I must run to His refuge first. He has never failed in His protection, so what have I to fear? Nothing! The only thing I can boast in is that He is MY God and in my weakness He is strong.

"We have trusted in God, let us trust him still. He has never failed us, why then should we suspect him? To trust in man is natural to fallen nature, to trust in God should be as natural to regenerated nature. Where there is every reason and warrant for faith, we ought to place our confidence without hesitancy or wavering. Dear reader, pray for grace to say, "In him will I trust", Spurgeon.

I want to dwell, not just visit occasionally, in the Shadow.

No comments: