Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Prayer Requests Restructured

I was listening to a sermon today as I was in the shop fabricating. That's one of the best things about working with your hands, is your mind and heart can focus on other things as you just work away. The time goes really fast.

In the sermon I was convicted about how I pray and the prayer requests that I have recently posted. It seems like I am presuming on God to answer my requests to Him, in thinking that I know the direction He should go. Like He needs my help in deciding what is best for me/Priceless Granite.

I should be asking that God would do as He sees best, after all "He gives what is best when we leave the choice to Him"- Jim Elliot- so shouldn't I just leave it up to Him? My request should be more like; pray that God would do as He sees fit and that I would be content, even joyful, in His choice.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Ryan Hall said...

Philippians 4:6 tells us to "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God."

I think God wants us to get personal with our requests. He wants us to talk with Him about our worries and troubles. In the end He will do as He pleases. And we can always rest on who God is and understand He knows best for us.

Unknown said...

I also need to check my motives in my prayers...for instance, am I praying my child be more obedient because it is easier on me and gives me more comfort? Or am I praying for his obedience because it honors the Lord and give Him glory? Am I praying for the protection of my husband during his job as a police officer because it would be hard on me to lose him? Or because I want God's best and ultimate glory no matter the outcome? Am I praying out of a fear that does not trust that God knows what is best for me? That God would be glorified in protecting him and bringing him home that night...or maybe not? It is good to pray for these things...I just usually have to check my heart as I pray them.