Sunday, April 5, 2009

Palm Sunday

Today is Palm Sunday. What a week this must have been for Jesus. He knew His time line and He knew exactly what was to come.

Was this in the morning or afternoon? I don't know for sure, but I can picture the crowd going up to Jerusalem from Bethany, walking up the hill among the olive trees, the sounds and smells of the season all around. Birds singing as their Creator walks by. Did they know who He was? Were the figs on the trees this morning extra sweet?

The crowd and the disciples were thinking something very different was going to happen. They were getting ready to take over the city, or so they thought. They were getting ready to be the new rulers of Jerusalem, but they were very mistaken.

Jesus knew the plan, He had told them the plan many times, but they hadn't really gotten it yet. In a week of so it would make a lot more sense to the disciples, but most of the crowd would never understand; they were just hanging around to see what new thing Jesus was going to do next. His "new thing" was to give His life for us.

He could see the hypocrisy in their hearts; He could see their motives and yet He still stayed with the Father's plan.

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!

No comments: