Thursday, April 9, 2009

Tumultuous Thursday

My heart is full this morning as I think about Jesus' last full day before the cross. A day filled with some teaching, but much prayer. I really can't imagine the weight He was carrying on this Tumultuous Thursday.

Matt. 5: 19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt. 26:39 And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will."

This may seem like a strange connection of verses, but I think there is one. Jesus is speaking in both of these verses; the first He is addressing the multitudes the second His Father. But the connection I see is that He is telling us that we are "least in the Kingdom of Heaven" if we do not follow ALL of His commandments and encourage others to do the same. Often we take the commandments that are the "easier ones" and leave the hard ones to someone "more spiritual". Jesus is submitting His will to the Father, even in the absolute hardest way, and though He asks if there is another way, He still follows the Father's plan.

I want to follow Him closely. My flesh is weak. Sin is strong. The world has so much to distract my attention. BUT He is faithful and He can give me the desire to follow.

Lord, keep us close to You. Write Your name on our hearts and keep us following hard after You. Keep our affections hot for You. Don't let us settle for lesser joys. Keep our eyes focused on the prize, that is You. Make the things of earth grow strangely dim, in the light of Your glory and grace.

No comments: