Thursday, February 12, 2009

Barnacles

Ps. 119:25 My soul clings to the dust;
give me life according to your word!
26 When I told of my ways, you answered me;
teach me your statutes!
27 Make me understand the way of your precepts,
and I will meditate on your wondrous works.
28 My soul melts away for sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word!
29 Put false ways far from me
and graciously teach me your law!
30 I have chosen the way of faithfulness;
I set your rules before me.
31 I cling to your testimonies, O LORD;
let me not be put to shame!
32 I will run in the way of your commandments
when you enlarge my heart!

"My soul clings the dust" might be better thought of as "dust clings to me and holds me down". I read a few commentaries on this and the illustration used frequently is that our greatest joy is when we are soaring spiritually but there are times when the trials of life cling to us like barnacles and they weigh us down so we are not able to soar.

The balance of the verse is "give me life according to Your Word". There is no other place to turn for life than His Word.

The rest of this paragraph is about meditating, clinging, being taught by, understanding, and basically being surrounded on every side by God's Word. This is the Rock that we can cling to; the place where we can take shelter from the cares of this world. The is the chisel that knocks off the barnacles to weigh us down and enables us to soar.

I want to have my heart enlarged. I want to be so full of His Word that it is my constant thought, my constant hope and my greatest joy.

Lord work Your will in my life. Don't let me go without encouragement, Provide, as You always do, what I need for today. Set Your face in front of me so I can't possibly look any other place but into Your eyes. Give me a courageous heart and I will praise You for it is only You that can do this in me.

No comments: