Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Do I love my job?

The question has been asked of me lately "Do you still love your job?".

The reason someone would ask me this, if you don't know me, is that I have said, very often, that I did. Even when I was with Les Schwab, working hard in the tire business, I really did love my job. The things I really enjoy about both of these 2 positions is the people. The people are also the biggest challenge. Sometime it is my own staff that are the challenge, but most of the time it is clients. I really enjoy talking and sharing with both groups, especially now that I really have something important to talk about.

BUT, do I love my job? I think that God is really starting to change my heart in this area. I don't think I have been necessarily a greedy or serious hoarder of material things, though I do have too many clothes. I have never really wanted to have lots of toys, I guess I'm a little boring, but currently I do have way more than I deserve or need. Back to the question; I guess my desire to "get ahead" has diminished considerably in the past 6 months or so. It's not that I'm not trying to be a slacker, it is just that there are now things that are much more important to me than there were before.

So, I enjoy the job God has given me, I want to be a great steward of what He has entrusted to me, I want to impact the world for Him, and I think this is a great place for influence that others might not have, even internationally, but I don't love my job like I used to. I want to be the best Christian employer I can be, and the best granite company around, and make some really nice friends along the way that in the end I will be able to share Christ with because of Who they see in me.

I have been praying very earnestly that God would not let me be satisfied with lesser loves and lesser joys. I do have a great platform for ministry and that is what I am trying to use work for now.

I hope this makes sense, and that it doesn't seem like I'm trying to skirt the question. I am just not entirely sure where my heart really is. Our hearts are deceitful and I do want to be naive about what is going on.

1 comment:

Andy B. said...

I really appreciate your focus on the most important thing, the glory of the Lord. But I also appreciate your strive for excellence in your job. I hope to be one of those people you enjoy and are blessed by. Thanks for your transparency.