Sunday, February 22, 2009

Drawn to His Word

Ps. 119: 57 The LORD is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.
58 I entreat your favor with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
59 When I think on my ways,
I turn my feet to your testimonies;
60 I hasten and do not delay
to keep your commandments.
61 Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
I do not forget your law.
62 At midnight I rise to praise you,
because of your righteous rules.
63 I am a companion of all who fear you,
of those who keep your precepts.
64 The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love;
teach me your statutes!

There is nothing I desire here on earth but the Lord, and He is my portion, but I can't promise, on my own, to keep His Word. There is too much evil in me to promise to do good, there is too much running away for me to promise always to run toward. But He has given me an attraction that I have never had before, and by His drawing I desire to be being conformed to His Word and in turn Christ likeness.

He has been gracious to me according to His promise. The lines have fallen to me in pleasant places; much more pleasant than I deserve. He has blessed me beyond what is required, and if He chooses to bless me more, that is totally up to His goodness, not because of any worth on my part. I would ask that He continue to bless, so that He might be shown even more gracious, not that I may have comfort.

When I think of my ways, I am not as David is here, I am "prone to wander, prone to leave the God I love", but He is able to "take my heart and seal it", to chain me to His Word, so that I might be ready "for His courts above".

He is working in my heart moment by moment to give me the desire to run toward His Word, to remember it, to meditate on it, to think about it even in the late watches of the night. When I wake up too early, or am awake too late, His Word is near me, shaping my thoughts, hammering the sin, and water the seeds of righteousness that have been planted that they may grow and produce fruit. He is the seed and the water and it is Him that causes the growth. He is worthy of my praise, may I give it freely. May I be overflowing with praise for Him, every moment of every day. May His praise be continually on my lips.

He has worked and is still working to change my heart to love His people. On my own, it is not all who fear Him that I am inclined toward, but if He can change my heart from a heart of stone to a heart of flesh, He can bring this about in me. His people are my best friends in life, but it should be that it is ALL His people, not just some of His people. He will continue to work.

The whole of the earth can't contain all if His love, but it is filled to overflowing with it. If I choose to think about it, everywhere I look I can be reminded of His steadfast love for all His children, long suffering toward the wicked and sustaining grace for all of creation. Give to me the desire Great God of love, mercy and compassion.

I want to know all His Statutes. I want His Word to be the food that I long for more than physical food. I want to eat His Word, that I might be strong in Him and ready for the battle. He gives the appetite, the desire, and then He gives the growth and more desire from the growth.

Oh Lord, do not take away the desire from me. Give an over abundance. Make me a glutton for Your Word that I might be spiritually fat. May I be consumed with consuming Your Word and may it be the feast I long to have every meal. This is only possible when You give it and when You sustain it. There is nothing in me that is drawn to good, except You put it there. Please keep putting it in me, so I will continue to be shaped and fashioned by it. After You have finished Your perfect work in me, may all who see the change know that it is You that has done this, and not me. Glorify Yourself by the change in me.

No comments: