Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Scared to Death of Death

1 Cor. 15:21 For as by a man came death, by a man has come also the resurrection of the dead. 22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive. 55 "O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?" 56 The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. 57 But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 58 Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

Phil. 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. 22 If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. 23 I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. 24 But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.

To the world, death is a scary thing. Many may claim they are not afraid of death, but I think it is because they don't think about it, or they don't think it is going to happen to them any time soon. What about you?

I was talking to Teresa yesterday about death. I told her I had been driving along behind a truck that had a bunch of rebar on the trailer and some was sticking way out the back, with little red flags on it. I thought, "If that truck stops really fast, I will be skewered". Some people would not drive behind a truck like that any longer than they absolutely need to, because they are afraid of pain, maybe, but probably death. I truly thought to myself, if God wants me home then He will take me, and I'm ready to go, but until he does I want to be available for Him in whatever way He chooses to use me.

Paul wasn't afraid of death, because he knew that it was a promotion, but he also knew that there was work left for him to do as long as he was alive on earth. He went from talking about the "sting of death" to "always abounding in the WORK of the Lord". Why do you suppose that is? Paul had a freedom in this life, because he knew that to die was better, but since God gave him life here on earth, He still had a plan, He still had some work for him to complete before it's time to go home.

This understanding of why we are here gives courage, boldness and freedom to go after it. How can we be afraid to talk to people about Christ when the best thing they could do is kill us? There are many here on earth that are "scared to death of death". If others around us are afraid of the future, and of death, shouldn't we be the calming force in their lives? When death comes up, or the uncertainty of the future, shouldn't we be the "steadfast, immovable" ones they can look to for comfort? We are Christ to the world. The only Christ they will see is us, living it out. If we are afraid, and we have the hope of Christ, where does that leave them?

I am truly ready to go home, maybe more excited than I should be. I need to have Paul's love of the work here. Paul didn't love the world, or the things in the world, but he loved the people and the Lord's work.

"As long as I breath, I will praise You Lord,
As long as I can sing, I will sing Your praise.
Wherever You lead me, I will follow You.
As long as I have breath, I will praise You Lord."

This is a choir song, but I don't know the writer.

A few questions;
Are you really ready to die?
Am I known as being other worldly, or just worldly?
Are you REALLY ready to die?
While God gives breath, He gives work. How am I doing on the work He has for me here?
Am I living in such a way that others are drawn to Christ?

Lord, may You give us courage to live in light of eternity. You have placed eternity in our hearts, not to fear it, but to cherish the life to come more than this one here on earth. May our hope be evident to all. May we go about your work here with fervor. Give us joy in our toil, because we know that our labor is not in vain and You only will leave us here while You have work for us to do. May we be looking toward Heaven and the prize that awaits, but looking for ways we can minister to the needs and struggles of others.
Give me a love for others that only You can give. Make my purpose Your glory. Slow me down enough to see the needs of others and then give me the heart to ask the right questions. You are Big and I am not. Take my hand and guide me where You want me to go. Give me a trust in You that can't be broken. This has to come from You, but You delight in growing and changing Your people. Change me into a vessel that You can use, for whatever purpose You choose.

No comments: