Thursday, February 19, 2009

Consider Your Calling

1 Cor. 1:26 For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; 28 God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, 29 so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. 30 And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, 31 so that, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord."

"Humility is the doorway into repentance. The door is small and narrow..." John MacArthur

There is no way that a tall, wide person can go through a short, narrow door. God wants us to be small, so He can be shown off as Great. He is great whether we are small or not, but His greatness is all the more evident when He works great things through His people and they are foolish and small.

God chooses to use the foolish things of this world as His instruments, so that in the end there is no way that any of us can boast of our accomplishments. I am proof that He doesn't pick the sharpest tool in the shed. I am very thankful that He doesn't select His children by what they can bring to the table, as there would be a long list much more qualified than I am. But His ways are not our ways and He gets the most glory out of using some insignificant tool to do any work.

Lord, use me today to show off Your great power, not so I can boast even that You have used me, but that Your power and grace would be seen by those who know how weak and frail I am. Many know of my weakness and yet if You choose to work through me, they would be encouraged that if You use me, and do any sort of work, then there is hope that You would use other weak vessels as well.
God, it is Your power that works in me, it is You that gives me strength to continue, faith to believe and love for others. Don't let me be put to shame, or let my enemies triumph over me. You are my Shield and Stronghold, don't let me be consumed. Show Your strength, by allowing me to be victorious. There are no victories w/o You. The fight is surely lost, before it is begun, if You are not in it.
Thank you for choosing to use me in some small way to bring about Your plan. Open doors so I know where You want me to go and then give me understanding in things I know nothing about to enter and show You off. God, You are mighty. There is none like You and You have chosen me. May I reflect Your image today and rejoice in knowing that I am chosen by the King. May I represent You in a way that all would know that it is You that is the reason I am here and it is you that has changed me.

No comments: