Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thanks for the encouragement

I just read a comment back to one of the posts, and I was struck by something said. "It's hard to complain when your 27 year old friend has just lost her husband". This comment was in the context of being an encouragement to me for enduring in the trial.

I haven't been thinking of worry as complaining. I know it's a sin, for not trusting God, but I hadn't given it too much thought previous to this.

I don't want to be a complainer, especially to God who gives so many good things. It must be true that worry is complaining in a backdoor sort of way. If I am worrying about what is going to happen tomorrow then I must be complaining inside about the way it's going right now. Complaining that God doesn't know what He's doing as He continues His work in my life.

Would God be working on someone He didn't have a plan for? Well, then I should be thankful that He is working.

Thanks for the kick in the pants LB. SKH needs to comment on the "reason God didn't create us to be perfect on earth" illustration. I heard it was very good.

2 comments:

Leila said...

SKH's illustration of why God didn't create us perfect was OUTSTANDING. It's like he's a genius or something :).

I have been so mindful of the Marks lately - it has made getting to fall asleep next to Andy so sweet! I just remember that I am not guaranteed another moment with Merian, and I need to take joy in all these things. Praying for PG!

SKH said...

Wow. Who would have thought a horse illustration would make such an impact?

I was responding to the question: If God knew that we were going to sin, why didn't He make us so we wouldn't sin?

Speaking to the junior high ladies, I said something like, What if Katie was a fantastic horse rider, maybe even the best ever, but she didn't own a horse, nor would anyone let her ride theirs? How would her ability be demonstrated? How would we know, and even praise, this particular attribute of hers, if we never saw it? She could say she was great, she could write a book about it, but we wouldn't know or love her ability the same until she displayed it.

Each of God's attributes are amazing. We know this, not only because He reveals it in His Word, but also because He displays His awe-some character in creation and in history. The display of His glorious righteousness, His just judgment, and His hatred of evil are seen against our sin. Even more, the display of His amazing grace, His patience, and His lovingkindness are also seen as He saves sinners.

Therefore, the world is the way it is, including evil and suffering and death, to show Himself, and all of His attributes, as infinitely excellent. God is glorified as we see and we sing, as we know and we worship Him for who He really is.

The truths here are deep, perhaps more so than for the comment meta, but for what it's worth, that's the illustration.