Friday, February 27, 2009

No Shame in Following God

Ps 119:73 Your hands have made and fashioned me;
give me understanding that I may learn your commandments.
74 Those who fear you shall see me and rejoice,
because I have hoped in your word.
75 I know, O LORD, that your rules are righteous,
and that in faithfulness you have afflicted me.
76 Let your steadfast love comfort me
according to your promise to your servant.
77 Let your mercy come to me, that I may live;
for your law is my delight.
78 Let the insolent be put to shame,
because they have wronged me with falsehood;
as for me, I will meditate on your precepts.
79 Let those who fear you turn to me,
that they may know your testimonies.
80 May my heart be blameless in your statutes,
that I may not be put to shame!

David understands that Creator God has formed him and fashioned him and that He knows everything about Him. This took great faith, as he didn't have nearly as much written Revelation as we do. He also knew that since God knew everything about him, God could also instruct him on exactly what he needed to know and that He could do this instructing better because He is the initiator, and completer of everything. Without God there is nothing.

God's people are encouraged by the faith and hope of other believers. We must display both the struggles and the victories along the way, so others can see our progress. Not so we might be glorified, but that others would know that we only have faith because of Christ's work on our behalf.

David didn't run away from trial or affliction, because He knew that everything was from God and that includes trials. He knew that God's Word is true and that God Himself is faithful to bring us exactly what he needed. Even though those trials are difficult, they are necessary to bring us closer to Him.

The comfort that we have, as believers, can't be compared to anything apart from God. There is no resting without God's promises for us to run to. His is Love and He is Faithfulness. There is none like Him.

His mercies, that are new every morning, give us life and hope. We find our strength for each day in the "pantry" of His Word. The Fountain brings refreshment like nothing else.

The world mocks and scoffs at His children, but He is faithful. We need not worry about what they are doing or saying, but we must run to His Word and put our hope in The Hope. There is no shame in trusting Him.

Again, David gives encouragement for us to live our lives in such a way that others may see our good deeds and glorify our Father who is in Heaven. He says in a sense, "look at my life, and learn from me as I learn from God. He is faithful to change you, just like He has changed me".

A pure heart and a clean conscience come from following God's Word. We can be pure vessels for the King to use, but we must follow His instructions.

The overriding message of this section seems to be that there is no shame in following God's Word, others will look to us and be encouraged along the way as they see us looking only to Christ and God is faithful to keep His Word.

No comments: