Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Learning and Affliction go hand in hand.

Ps. 119: 65 You have dealt well with your servant,
O LORD, according to your word.
66 Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
for I believe in your commandments.
67 Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I keep your word.
68 You are good and do good;
teach me your statutes.
69 The insolent smear me with lies,
but with my whole heart I keep your precepts;
70 their heart is unfeeling like fat,
but I delight in your law.
71 It is good for me that I was afflicted,
that I might learn your statutes.
72 The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.

We are servants of the King and yet He calls us friends. The King has dealt more than graciously with us as His servant. Though I bring no resume, no work ethic and no ability He still lets me come to work everyday, He still teaches me and He still pays me much more than I deserve. He should fire me, but instead He lets me feast at His table. We can know we are His children when He deals so kindly with us.

He is always instructing, always teaching and always training, that we might be more complete in Him. His method of training is often affliction, and it is a very good teacher. He will not spare any form of instruction so that in the end we are pure vessels fit for His Kingdom.

It doesn't matter what other say or do, my delight is in His Word. He keeps me in it and makes it fresh and alive that I might want to be in it.

"It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I might learn your statutes." is something that I need always to remember. When my life is over and I reach Heaven and the only thing I have learned is the character of God, then that is more than enough. If He chooses to teach me through trials and affliction my heart should rejoice in the fact that He actually chooses to teach me anything.

There is no money or treasure that can compare to knowing Him. If I have to choose between having anything, or everything, here on earth and Christ, He is the Pearl of Greatest Price. He is the Treasure and His Word is the map to find Him. Many have left all to seek out buried treasure, but to no avail. He promises that when we seek Him with our whole heart we will find Him.

No comments: