Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Weak Hands and Feeble Knees

Ps. 94:19 When the cares of my heart are many,
your consolations cheer my soul.

Ps. 55: 22 Cast your burden on the LORD,
and he will sustain you;
he will never permit
the righteous to be moved.

Matt. 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Ps. 72:12 For he delivers the needy when he calls,
the poor and him who has no helper.
13 He has pity on the weak and the needy,
and saves the lives of the needy.

Is. 35:3 Strengthen the weak hands,
and make firm the feeble knees.
4 Say to those who have an anxious heart,
"Be strong; fear not!
Behold, your God
will come with vengeance,
with the recompense of God.
He will come and save you."
5 Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened,
and the ears of the deaf unstopped;
6 then shall the lame man leap like a deer,
and the tongue of the mute sing for joy.
For waters break forth in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

Heb. 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.
Do Not Grow Weary
3 Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. 4 In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood. 5 And have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons?
"My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord,
nor be weary when reproved by him.
6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves,
and chastises every son whom he receives."
7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline? 8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. 9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? 10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. 11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
12 Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, 13 and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.

Today I allowed worry to steal my joy and it is so irritating. These verses are a reminder for me, but I am happy to share them with you.

I can't believe how easily I go from seeing how good things are to thinking there is no light at the end of the tunnel. I know that worry only steals my joy, that it does no good, there is no problem too big for God and everything else, but it just creeps in. AHHH!

I am encouraged that David is soaring with the eagles one time and the next time his bones are wasting away. I totally get that, but it is so frustrating. I don't want to worry about the future of PG and it doesn't do any good, but it just jumps in.

I had to come home this afternoon and get more of His Word, it's my only remedy. The cares of this life are so small compared to how big God is, but they are right in front of me all the time.

Lord, give me faith to trust Your promises, hope for the future that is filled with You, joy in the trials, as I know You take me through them and a vision for the prize of heaven with You. God forgive me for not trusting You in every situation. I want to believe, please help my unbelief.
The burden is too heavy for me to carry. Strengthen my weak heart. I want to find rest for my soul in You. I want to feed in green pastures, beside still waters. Please, Good Shepherd, restore my soul. Make me to know joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice.

2 comments:

Leila said...

Praying for you Chuck! I know this frustration, though on a smaller scale. Today, our water heater started acting up, which meant no shower after working out, which is just ICKY. Then, Merian only slept about an hour today, when she usually sleeps around 5. BUT, I can still have joy, and it is very hard to complain when a friend of yours just said goodbye to her 27-year-old husband.

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing this. I am going to share it with my 12 yr old daughter who is struggling with depression and anxiety right now. Please keep writing! I love to come to your blog every morning and hear such great reminders from His Word.