Friday, February 20, 2009

You have made me Hope in Your Word

Ps. 119:49 Remember your word to your servant,
in which you have made me hope.
50 This is my comfort in my affliction,
that your promise gives me life.
51 The insolent utterly deride me,
but I do not turn away from your law.
52 When I think of your rules from of old,
I take comfort, O LORD.
53 Hot indignation seizes me because of the wicked,
who forsake your law.
54 Your statutes have been my songs
in the house of my sojourning.
55 I remember your name in the night, O LORD,
and keep your law.
56 This blessing has fallen to me,
that I have kept your precepts.

Would God have us to hope in His Word and then leave that hope empty? He is not the God of disappointment. He puts hope in our hearts from His Word, for His working, and He makes those hopes come to life. His promises do give us life and light in our afflictions, because we are able to recount all the times He has kept His Word and this makes our affliction light and momentary, as we know that in His time, He will make all things beautiful as He works all things together for our good, as we love Him and are called according to His purpose.

In the night, when there is nothing to do but sleep or lay there thinking, He is my comfort. When I start to worry, He reminds me of what He has done for me already. He is so good to give me His Word that I can meditate on in the late watches of the night.

There are blessings when we follow His Word in obedience. Sometimes those come right away and some will come when we reach Heaven, but there are blessings for those who love His Word. All blessings come from Him and He loves to care for the righteous. He in turn makes the righteous love righteousness more, as we obey.

Oh Fulfiller of all hopes, Rewarder of the righteous, may I love Your Word most, may I be drawn to it like the wicked are to money and pleasure. May all my hopes be focused on You and Your goodness. Don't disappoint as I hope in Your promises, but don't let me have so much that I forget where the blessings come from.

No comments: