Friday, February 6, 2009

Deep Valleys, High Mountains


Ps.90:15 Make us glad for as many days as you have afflicted us,
and for as many years as we have seen evil.

"Great trial enables us to bear great joy, and may be regarded as the herald of extraordinary grace. God's dealings are according to scale; small lives are small throughout; and great histories are great both in sorrow and happiness. Where there are high hills there are also deep valleys.
If we have fierce afflictions we may look for overflowing delights, and our faith may boldly ask for them. God who is great in justice when He chastens will not be little in mercy when He blesses, He will be great all through: let us appeal to Him with unstaggering faith." C.H. Spurgeon.

When I read this verse I had to see what Spurgeon said about it. What an encouragement to be reminded that our trials enable us to find joy in all things, and that God's grace is equally sufficient to bring trials and joy in the trials. I haven't been doing as well as I should be in that.

I like "great histories are great in sorrow and happiness". Truly when we walk through deep valleys the mountains tops are much more beautiful when we finally arrive.

"Unstaggering faith". Hum, I still am not doing so well here, but God is continuing to show Himself more than faithful, so sooner or later I, hopefully, will get it. I have noticed that the more I am in His Word and in prayer the more, in faith, I am able to see His hand working in the events around me and this really has then increased my faith. I just have to look through the lens of His Word and His precious promises so I am reminded constantly, or I forget.

Lord, work in my life and work on my life. Enable me to see the events You are orchestrating that I might see Your faithfulness with clarity and with that clarity praise You with all my heart. Don't let me be un-thankful. I often miss the joy in the trial because I am focused on the trial and not the joy. Change me. I know You are working on me, and though it is hard to have the hammer pounding, You are the Master Craftsman and You have something planned. Please give me the grace and strength the endure and just a glimpse along the way to keep me excited about the process. You have ordained each of my steps, You know the path You have for me, so place each one of my footsteps exactly where You want them to be, don't let me step anywhere You don't want me to step. Keep my feet from stumbling and make my footing sure. Light my path with the light of Your Word, and make it straight and smooth, but keep it steep as I ascend toward You. When I am weary and wore, carry me safely in Your arms.
Thanks for the incredible blessings along the way and for giving me a new perspective on the life that You have called me to LIVE.

No comments: