Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Am I Really Willing?

Matt. 13:44 "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. 45" Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. 46When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.

This is Jesus' story and He is making a pretty strong point here. If I am NOT willing to leave everything to follow Him, then I will NOT be given the gift of Heaven. The interesting thing is that these men 1) are seeking and working to find these things that are of utmost value, 2) these things are not hidden so much that someone else could not have found them, if they had been looking, 3) they don't go sell everything they have begrudgingly, but with JOY. They know they are choosing the best thing; they know that the "sacrifice" they are making is no sacrifice at all, because they get God in the end. Often I am willing to sacrifice something, but it is not with joy as much as duty, or self denial. But Jesus is telling us right here, "I am worth it, no matter what it is you have to leave, I am worth the trade".

Whether I believe this or not greatly effects where I will spend eternity, because will I really be following Christ if I am following out of duty? Wouldn't that make me like the Pharisees, if I was following Him out of duty? Until I start to understand that following Christ is my greatest joy, no matter what the cost, even if it is my life, then I am not really following Christ.

Oh that I might always see Christ as my highest Treasure and then follow Him no matter what the cost. May my heart not deceive me. May my joy be fixed on Him and Him alone. May the things of this earth grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.

Ps. 42:1 As the deer pants for streams of water,
so my soul pants for you, O God.

2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.
When can I go and meet with God?

Is. 55:1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

3 Give ear and come to me;
hear me, that your soul may live.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you,
my faithful love promised to David.

Does God tell us anything about what will happen to those who are not willing to leave everything? Does God give us any encouragement, even in the same verse, for those who are willing to follow Him whole-heartedly? If I follow after idols, then I am putting my hope of salvation in those things. If God is my refuge, I will inherit Heaven and Him for eternity.

Is. 56:13 When you cry out for help,
let your collection of idols (things you would not leave) save you!
The wind will carry all of them off,
a mere breath will blow them away.
But the man who makes me his refuge
will inherit the land
and possess my holy mountain."

No comments: