Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Shattered and Scattered Dreams

Even Then
Nichole Nordeman

"It's a fear that keeps me wide awake
In the middle of the night
When the expectations are too great
And the bar gets raised too high
So I do the best with what I've got
And hope that no one knows
That I strain to see how high I can
Try to stand on these toes
Until I'm measured, but You know better

(Chorus)
So, thank-You, Jesus
Even when You see us just as we are
Fragile and frail and so far
From who we want to be
So, thank-You, Jesus
Even when the pieces are broken and small
Dreams shatter and scatter like the wind
Thank-You, even then

So I put aside the masquerade
And admit that I am not okay
Which may not be the thing to say
But I'm not ashamed to need You more each day

(Chorus)

We raise the standard and try to reach You
But we'll never make it, and we don't need to"

I have always been one to raise the standard, for myself and for those around me. I believe in certain areas this is what God requires, that we do all things as unto Him, but often I have raised the standard as unto myself, not for His glory.

I had a talk with a friend of mine the other day and this is part of the idea. It has not been until I have been willing to be "okay" with having MY dreams shattered and scattered that I have been more than okay with God doing what He desires with my present and future. Since I am not in control anyway, it makes sense to let Him be in control.

Let me encourage you to seek the Lord in all you are working toward and then let Him have the glory when He brings success or when He lets you see your totally inability to succeed even in the smallest of things.

The freedom comes when I have finally given EVERYTHING to Him and have started to truly believe that He will bring glory unto Himself in whatever my circumstance currently is. He is our sufficiency, our best good, our prize, our sweetest lover, our greatest joy. When we strive to please Him, He will give us joy beyond comprehension. He will fulfill our "list" because He will be our "list".

Oh Lord may we find our selves in all that You are. May You be our only desire, our only standard and our only Hope. Bring us to Yourself. Don't let us have satisfaction in anything or anyone else but You. When we have sought You with our whole heart, please let us find You, and find You in everything we see. May You be the honey that brings us back each minute. Give us such joy and passion for Your Word that we can't wait to listen to You speak to us. Change us, as we can't have this love and desire on our own. Break down all the barriers that keep us from You and keep us right here until we are filled to overflowing with all that You are. You can do this for us, so please do.

No comments: