Saturday, March 28, 2009

Daddy, what should I do?

It is interesting to me that in John 5 Jesus talks so much about only doing the will of the Father.

If Jesus, who is God, can only do the will of the Father, and submits all of His own actions and words to the Father, how much more should we be subjecting our thoughts and actions to Him?

Just like Jesus fasting and praying for 40 days before His earthly ministry started, praying before being taken into custody or praying for the selection of His disciples, we, in our finite wisdom, need to be earnestly seeking the will of the Father in all that we do.

I often think that I have the Bible and I know what to do, so just go do it and God will take care of the rest. No need to "bother" God with these small things, but that is not Biblical thinking. God wants us to come to Him with everything, not just the "big" things. He loves to hear, "Daddy, should I ...?" It is no burden to Him and it shows our willing dependence on Him.

My flesh gets in the way, not so much from out right disobedience as much as maybe it is just easier to not ask. Seeking and waiting on the Lord takes time and patience is required, and I guess I am in too much of a hurry most of the time. In the end He can make up the time and He certainly can make the decision right one the first time, so it doesn't have to be redone.

Just some thoughts on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

No comments: