Monday, March 23, 2009

Are you Asking?

As I am reading through the Gospels I have noticed something significant. There are many people that cried out to Jesus.

In Luke 18 alone there is the "persistent widow", the "tax collector" and the blind beggar. In the chapters previous there are 10 lepers, more blind people and so many others.

What I have noticed is that Jesus doesn't turn away any who are truly calling out to Him in need. Jesus wants to change their lives. He wants us to be new creatures.

Can you imagine the newness of life in a story like this; I was born in Jerusalem blind from birth. I am the oldest son in my family, but I can't see to do any work. I will get no inheritance because I am thought of as less than a person. I can only be guided to the gate everyday that is closest to where I sleep and beg for change from those who pass by.

One day, this man-Jesus-is coming toward my gate. I have heard people talking about him. I wonder who He really is. I wonder if He can do the things that people are saying He can. Should I ask Him to make me see? What do I have to lose by trying to get Him to come over to me? Maybe He will only walk by this gate one time, I can't miss Him. I need to yell as loud as I can to make sure He comes over to me. It doesn't matter if people think I'm crazy. He might be able to heal me and that's a chance I am willing to take.

All the yelling pays off. Jesus walks right up to me. I can't see what He looks like, but the crowd is pushing in around me, so He must be close. He asks me, "what do you want me to do for you?" Dare I ask? For sure I am going to ask. "I have been blind from birth and I want to see". I hope He is who they say He is. BANG, I see Him. I see the crowd. I see everything. For the first time I can see. Really, all I had to do was ask and He did this for me? He must be God. From today forward life is new.

Isn't this what Jesus wants from each one of us? Doesn't He just want us to see our own inability and complete need of Him and then ask for Him to change us? Jesus is in the business of changing lives. He is all about making lives new, but He wants to be asked. He wants us to be the "persistent beggar" who will not let Him go by.

All we have is need and He has everything we need to make us complete in Him. What are you lacking? Ask.

No comments: