Sunday, March 1, 2009

Healing and Refreshment

Prov. 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart,
and do not lean on your own understanding.
6 In all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make straight your paths.
7 Be not wise in your own eyes;
fear the LORD, and turn away from evil.
8 It will be healing to your flesh
and refreshment to your bones.

These verses are often given as life verses it seems, especially in student ministries. Personally I have not trusted God with all my heart and have, in turn, leaned heavily on my own understanding. The weight of trying to make my own decisions when I have no idea what will come tomorrow is immense. There is so much freedom in leaving our cares and concerns with the Father and just striving to do what He instructs us to do. I have no understanding of my own, but often I have wanted to make decisions w/o seeking His leading. He has been gracious to allow some measure of success despite my arrogance.

Acknowledging His direction and gifts in our lives is not easy to do when we think we are responsible for our success. When I have finally understood that I have no merit of my own to take credit for, it has been much easier to be thankful and acknowledge His working and blessing in my life. He is worthy of my praise.

When I have been wise in my own eyes my pride is there for all the world to see. What foolish pride; thinking I am bringing anything of worth to the table. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of true wisdom, and until I see my lack and His abundance I will not turn from evil. He has to do the work in me for me even to have a desire to want to follow Him.

Healing and refreshment comes when we follow Him and give Him glory for the work He is doing in our lives.

Don't allow Satan to rule your life. He is trying to sell you the things of this world as a replacement for the things of God. He is trying to get you to trade the greatest Prize for the junk of this world. Keep your eyes from turning to the right or the left. Look only to Christ. Stay focused on Him and don't even make a little provision for the flesh. Then you will have peace.

No comments: