Saturday, March 7, 2009

Make Disciples

As I get ready to return home from the Shepherd's Conference, and as I summarize what I want to take away from here, for the work that God has planned for me to personally do on this earth, I understand my task is to make disciples, Matt 28:19-20.

So what do we need to do most to make disciples? What part do we play in making disciples, since God is the only One who can drawn His children unto Himself? Since we have no power to transform lives, what is our task personally? With regard to Student Ministries, since that is the world I live in most, how can I get the students to be disciples/followers of Christ?

1. Be an excited, joyous, Spirit filled, passionate follower of Jesus Christ myself. They will see right through our "acting" like Christians and be pushed away. But, just as clearly, they will see our genuine love for Christ and passion for Him, and say, "I want some of that".

2. Pray for their souls. Since it is God who is the agent of change, Phil. 2:13, we need to be begging God for change in our lives and in the lives of our students. He loves to answer the prayers of His righteous ones when we ask for things according to His will. 2 Peter 3:9

3. Love His Word. When we are loving God's Word and sharing what we have learned, if God is drawing students to Himself, they we start to have a hunger for His Word as well. This is the "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" part. How will they know what He has commanded if we/they are not reading His Word?

Bottom line. When we are walking in the Spirit, that worthy walk will be evident to those around us and it will be attractive to those whom God is calling unto Himself. None will be drawn to Him, because of our lives, when we look and act like the world, because the Holy Spirit is working in the hearts of those He is calling to come out from the world and be separate. We must look like Christ for others, especially students, to be drawn to Him.

"BE" like it all depends upon us, Pray like it all depends upon Him. It does all depend upon Him, but He delights in using us to do His work in His chosen ones.

1 comment:

Micah James Lugg said...

Chuck, I also walked away from SC with a renewed passion to make disciples and I am incredibly thankful for the opportunity! Thanks for sharing.