Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fasting for the Lost

John 4:31 Meanwhile the disciples were urging him, saying, "Rabbi, eat." 32 But he said to them, "I have food to eat that you do not know about." 33 So the disciples said to one another, "Has anyone brought him something to eat?" 34 Jesus said to them, "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work. 35 Do you not say, 'There are yet four months, then comes the harvest'? Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest. 36 Already the one who reaps is receiving wages and gathering fruit for eternal life, so that sower and reaper may rejoice together. 37 For here the saying holds true, 'One sows and another reaps.' 38 I sent you to reap that for which you did not labor. Others have labored, and you have entered into their labor."

Jesus is teaching us, indirectly, that we should fast. What was this food "that you don't know about"? How could Jesus go about His life on earth and often times not eat? His body must have been scarred with the results of many fasts. But Jesus knew the importance of His ministry here and He was not going to let food distract Him from the harvest.

I am often so preoccupied with the "Martha" things of this life that I miss out on what God has called me to do. The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few. There are people around us dieing everyday who, though they live in America, have never heard the Gospel presented correctly. They might have seen some preacher on TV, or someone they knows goes to church once a month said something to them once in passing, but Jesus is calling us to do the will of the Father and fasting for the lost is a good reminder of what is truly important.

Jesus also knew how to feast, but the time was not right for feasting this day. The feast will come soon enough, and the final feast will be worth the wait.

Naturally, we/I don't have a heart for the lost, but as we pray for God to give us that kind of heart, He loves to answer those kinds of prayers.

God change my heart for the lost. Give me a desire to see the lost brought to You. On my own, I want the sanctuary of my comfortable life, but I need to be about my Father's business. Give me a burden for those who don't know You, give me opportunities to share You with them and then give me the boldness to share. You can do this in me.

No comments: